Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Room's All Set - But What Do We Do With All of Those Kids????? Part 1

Warning! This post is REALLY loooooooong, so I'll throw in a FREEBIE if you can make it 'til the end...

Each year teachers work in their classrooms making them look inviting, colorful, homey, and special. We focus so much on the physical aspects of back to school that sometimes we stop and think - AHHHH! What about lesson plans? What am I gonna do with all of those kids when they get here? I am guilty of this as much as the next guy. Here's what I have planned for BTS (Back To School).
 
My littles will first put away any supplies that they brought and hang up their backpacks. On their desks will be some 1st day color pages to complete. I may also make the "magic playdough" if I have the time, energy, and the stars are aligned...Then, after announcements and the pledge I go through morning procedures.  - putting up their lunch choice as they come into the room, unpacking, turning in homework and/or notes/money, etc, hanging up backpack and putting their things into their cubbies. Next, we will come down to the rug for an ice breaker/get-to-know-each-other-activity (I haven't decided yet exactly which one.) Here are some I've done in the past - I Am, Who Is? (like I Have, Who Has but with names) M&M Chat (each kiddo gets a snack-sized bag of M&M's and each color corresponds to a question. I have a page up on the Pro-Board. We go around the circle and blindly pick out 1 M&M and answer the question off the board. Fun and you can't go wrong with chocolate!) The Name Game (you go around the circle and when it's your turn you say your name and all of the names of the people before you in the circle). This one is great for me, because by lunch I have all of the little darlin's names in my noggin!

Sometime we'll fill out our Time Capsule page. I started this last year and my class Loved it! They got to put their little papers inside our "time capsule" (actually a welding rod holder from Harbor Freight) and on the last day we opened that puppy up and read what we'd written on the first day of school. My kiddos were AMAZED at how much better their writing and spelling was. Some of them needed my help in deciphering what they had written back in August. Too funny!

Here's one of my every year things. The Classroom Quilt. Each student gets a paper quilt block to fill out and decorate. Then I take each block, punch holes in the edges and connect them all with yarn. Here's a pic from my website. Scroll down a little under the Back to School label: Classroom Quilt Pic

I've also bought a TON of stuff from awesome TpT sellers, such as the fabulous Cara Carroll's Ready Set Learn Back To School Math Literacy Activities. Also Reagan Tunstall's Back to School Math Centers. I am starting out with a little Pete the Cat, so yesterday I found this The Groovy Cat Math & Literacy Unit from First Grade Fever. Here are some pics of some of the Groovy Cat stuff I have printed and laminated thus far.

 
Ummm. I saved this right side up. ????
Anyhoo....this is a part of Groovy Cat.
It is a literacy station.
 
 
This is a pic of 2 of the math stations.
One is for practicing tally marks. The
other is counting and making
addition sentences.
 
There are a lot more things to print, but sadly I am almost out of colored ink and I only have 2 lamination pouches left. But not to worry. Mr. UPS will be bringing me a color cartridge and another
100 lamination pouches tomorrow! Happiness!
 
I have found a lot of neat things on Tpt, and I was able to get a lot of them for 20% off from the awesome teachers having a Christmas in July sale! SCORE! I can't wait until the BTS Sale on TpT. I've already got some things ready and waiting for that fantastic day!
 
Here's the FREEBIE I promised. This is the updated Classroom Quilt Block for this year!
 
 
TTFN
Jennifer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment