Saturday, August 24, 2013

1st Week of School

We all survived our first week of school. It's probably good that it was only 4 days. It's always hard getting back into the routine of getting up early every day. (For the kiddos too!) I got to meet all of my new little faces on Monday at Open House. I am so excited to do things with this group. They are very sweet kids with AWESOME parents!
This coming week should be more normal and we can get into our regular routine. Last week was a little wacky. The 1st day is never routine. The 2nd day was an early out schedule so that we could have SW-PBS Boot Camp. We took our kiddos around to different areas in the school where there were paras, aids, and other teachers there to review our expectations for behavior. I think it was a great idea and it ensured that every kiddo heard what was expected of them in each area of the school and they got to practice before heading on to the next station. Thursday (3rd day) was a fairly normal day. We at least had our normal schedule and then on Fridays we have early release so teachers can meet for our Osage Learning Community. (PLC time).
I am excited to introduce "Beary" to the class on Monday. He is this year's mascot and each weekend our Terrific Kid will get to take Beary home (with parents' signed permission) and have some adventures with him. They will write about their fun together in Beary's Weekend Journal and then bring everything back on Monday to share with the class. I've had one little darling asking about Beary and I kept forgetting to bring him. (Silly teacher!) He is ready and waiting on the table to go with us to school on Monday.
The first 3 weeks of this school year are only basically 4 day weeks. We have 4 1/2 days this week. Our district lets out at 12:00 on the Friday before Labor Day to allow buses to get students home before the tourist traffic gets too bad. Since we live in a recreation area, we have many visitors come to our area for the Labor Day holiday. Teachers get to leave at 1:00! Whoo hoo! This is my favorite early out day because we get to leave early too. All of the other days we have early outs are for PD meetings and Parent/Teacher Conferences.
A few of my sweeties from last year have been walking by with their new class when I've been in the hall, so I've been able to sneak a few hugs. I miss my previous class, but I'm really starting to bond (no pun intended) with my new sweeties.
We already got to have a birthday celebration. One little guy's sweet mama brought in cupcakes for us to have after lunch on Friday. We will have 2 more celebrations this week to celebrate 2 other little guys who had their birthdays earlier this month.
I need to get back into the lesson planning and newsletter writing routine. The newsletter sneaked up on me this week and I had to madly type to get it done in time to send home on Friday. I could've sent it on Monday, but I like my families to be able to see what's coming up the following week so they can plan if necessary. (For example - the kiddos need tennis shoes on P.E. days)
Well, I think that's enough babbling for now. Until next time.....

Jennifer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment